Helensburgh Public Library has been a mainstay of the small town since the early 1980s. Recent years have seen it get some long overdue refurbishment, including shelving upgrades, repainting and new carpeting. It’s located at 57 Walker St, just up the road from the main street shops, in a small, but welcoming pre-fab building, with parking available both on-street and at the rear of the building.
The library is a council-run facility, and operates as just one of the seven branches of the Wollongong City Library. Because all of these branches are interconnected, resources available at Helensburgh Library are not limited by the building’s small size, and books not located at the Helensburgh branch can easily be transferred from another branch on request. The other Wollongong City Library branches are:
- Wollongong Central Library
- Corrimal District Library
- Dapto District Library
- Thirroul District Library
- Warrawong District Library
- Unanderra Branch Library
Essentially, all of these libraries become available to you when you become a member of Helensburgh library. Signing up for a Wollongong City Library card can easily be done at the Helensburgh branch, by presenting identification with your name and current address on it. Membership is free to residents of the Wollongong local government area. People living outside the Wollongong area are also able to sign-up to the library as reciprocal members, as long as they are already a member of their home library and able to present their current library card along with their identification.
All those with a Wollongong City Library card are entitled to the following services at Helensburgh Library:
- Borrowing up to sixteen items at a time (including fiction, non-fiction, magazines, audio-books, DVDs and CDs)
- Loan for a period of up to four weeks. Loans can also be renewed twice for additional 4-week periods
- Both borrow and return at all branch locations
- Access to online library services (such as loan renewal and catalogue searching) with your library card number and PIN at http://www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/library/usingthelibrary/Pages/branches.aspx
Helensburgh Library also provides free Internet and Wi-Fi access (conditions apply), photocopying services at a cost, a quiet-play area in the children’s section, and an after-hours return chute located out the front of the building. A full list of fees regarding photocopying, card replacement, reserves, inter-library loans, and overdue fines can be found on the library website.
The Helensburgh branch also runs a semi-regular program called ‘Storytime’ for preschool-aged children, involving stories, rhymes and craft. The program is free and doesn’t require booking. There are also one-off workshops for craft and/or literacy held during school holidays for older children. These workshops usually have a limited number of places and require bookings. A calendar of these events can also be found on the Wollongong Library website.
All enquiries regarding services can be made to Helensburgh Library on 02 4294 2185. The Helensburgh Library’s opening hours are:
- Monday 10:00am – 1:00pm; 2:00pm – 6:00pm
- Tuesday 10:00am – 1:00pm; 2:00pm – 7:00pm
- Wednesday 10:00am – 1:00pm; 2:00pm – 6:00pm
- Thursday 10:00am – 1:00pm; 2:00pm – 6:00pm
- Friday 10:00am – 1:00pm; 2:00pm – 6:00pm
- Saturday 9:30am – 1:00pm
Images/Photos, and Article © Ian Piggott 2013 – all rights reserved,