Helensburgh NSW 2508
Helensburgh Post Office History
Last updated 7 July 2026
Research by Pat McAuliffe
Drawn from Australia Post historical records (NSWPOA 351 70 R/A u.79). Article supplied by Meryl O’Connor. Cross-checked against Helensburgh & District Historical Society local history (2026).
Before Helensburgh had its name, residents at Camp Creek fought for a post office on the new Illawarra railway. What followed was a timber agency in a mining company town, a telegraph line to the colliery, and the handsome brick building that still serves the town today at the corner of Parkes Street and Cowper Street.
At a glance
| First agency opened | 1 December 1886 — Thomas Horan, storekeeper |
| Name adopted | Helensburgh (replacing Camp Creek) — petition by Charles Harper, August 1886 |
| Telegraph office | 29 or 30 September 1890 — line to Metropolitan Colliery |
| Current building occupied | 25 February 1901 — George Rickett, contractor (£615) |
| Public telephone | 4 April 1907 |
| Telephone exchange | December 1914 or February 1915 (sources differ) |
| Still in use today | Same 1901 building — Helensburgh LPO |
Camp Creek petitions (1886)
In June 1886 residents forwarded a petition seeking a post office on the Illawarra Railway near the 28-mile peg, at a place known as Camp Creek. The request failed. Camp Creek was described as midway between Cawley’s Creek and Otford — about 3 miles from each. Cawley’s Creek post office was said to be about 2 miles from Waterfall; Gibson’s saddle (horseback) mail already ran between Clifton and Otford.
Further petitions followed, but only about three letters a day were leaving Camp Creek — not enough to justify an office. In August 1886 C. Harper (Charles Harper) wrote again to the Postmaster-General: “Helensburgh is the name desired by inhabitants.” His address was given as Helensburgh, Waterfall.
The Historical Society records that Harper organised the 1886 petition; the town centre was developing on the plateau above the mine while a smaller settlement also grew near the railway station.
First post office — Thomas Horan (1886)
Approval finally came for a post office at Helensburgh, with Thomas Horan, storekeeper, as postmaster. The office opened on 1 December 1886. Mail timetables were adjusted: the service left Waterfall at 10:30 am, arrived Cawley’s Creek 11:00 am, Helensburgh 11:30 am, Otford 1:00 pm.
Money order facilities were added on 2 May 1887. In March 1887 Horan won the contract to carry mail from Waterfall to Helensburgh via Cawley’s Creek by horse-drawn chaise cart, and between Helensburgh and Otford on horseback — six times a week for £80 per annum. (Later generations knew the letter carrier as “Chippy” — see the Tom Anderson Q&A.)
In 1889 the Metropolitan Coal Company — which owned the land the town stood on — required the site of Horan’s store and post office. Horan erected a new building about 12 chains (~240 m) away. On 1 October 1889 a branch of the Government Savings Bank opened at the post office.
Telegraph office (1890)
Locals agitated for a telegraph office separate from the railway station telegraph. Thomas Horan — a former railway telegraphist in Tasmania — was appointed to run both post and telegraph. A line was built from the office to the colliery. The telegraph opened on 29 or 30 September 1890. Horan became post and telegraph master; his sister was appointed junior operator.
The rented colliery building cost £1 per week and was cramped — no fence, and many other faults — though repairs in 1892 made it habitable. Joseph Kershaw began as temporary letter carrier on 1 February 1892 at £39 per annum, rising to £52 in April 1893.
On 1 October 1896 Horan joined the permanent postal staff as official postmaster at £100 per annum — a well-regarded local citizen. A police station had just been built next door.
New post office building (1901)
In 1899 a resident argued the post office should sit in the business centre at the “other end” of town — where West Helensburgh and Parkes Street shops were growing. £400 was placed on the Estimates for a new office on the south-west corner of Cowper Street and Parkes Street, on part of the recreation reserve.
Tenders were called in July 1900; the first successful tenderer did not proceed. Fresh tenders went to George Rickett for £615. The new office was occupied on 25 February 1901. The Honourable John See (NSW Premier) represented the Government at the public opening.
A press report of 16 May 1901 noted the postmaster had lit the new office with acetylene gas, including the street front — “much admired by the public.”
Telephone and exchange
A telephone was installed during 1907; public telephone service began 4 April 1907. The Helensburgh Telephone Exchange opened in December 1914 or February 1915 — contemporary records disagree. The earliest subscriber list in the directory for December 1915 included:
- HELENSBURGH (9 am to 6 pm)
- 5 — James Marin, Centennial Hotel, Park Street
- 3 — Metropolitan Coal Co.
Also connected: Dr Cox; Drawing Officer and Delivery Officer; Manager’s Residence.
Succeeding postmasters
Horan was transferred to Woonona. Later postmasters:
| Postmaster | From |
|---|---|
| J. W. Connolly | 1 January 1908 |
| C. Mc. Ireland | 1 January 1909 |
| S. W. Cambridge | 2 January 1918 |
| C. J. Mathews | 30 August 1932 |
| A. Edmundson | 20 March 1938 |
| R. B. Craig | 9 April 1941 |
| S. W. Wood | 16 May 1944 |
| R. S. Turner | 17 May 1946 |
| W. F. Cullen | 27 September 1946 |
| A. K. Blackwell | 20 July 1950 |
| H. H. Macey | 8 December 1955 |
| S. E. Davis | 1 November 1960 |
| J. K. Jones | 2 March 1967 |
| K. R. McDonald | 11 May 1978 |
| R. J. C. Eaton | 1986 |
| R. Newson | 1987–1992 |
| J. Collins | 1993–2002 |
Today
The 1901 brick post office at Parkes Street and Cowper Street still operates as Helensburgh LPO. It sits in the West Helensburgh shopping strip that grew after Parkes Street was cut through the escarpment in the late 1880s — the same “business centre” locals argued for in 1899.
Phone: 02 4294 1008 · Locate via Australia Post
Location
Related pages
Any use of Pat McAuliffe’s research should acknowledge the Historical Officer, Australia Post, G.P.O., Sydney. Thanks to Meryl O’Connor for supplying the article.